Course Hero-Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching
The application is now open! Deadline for applications is November 9, 2018.
Great teaching is the foundation of a lifetime of learning. It prepares students not only for graduation, but also for engaged, informed, productive citizenship in a rapidly evolving world. Created by Course Hero, an online learning library, and administered by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, the Course Hero-Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching aims to shape the next generation of college professors and instructors to be innovative, effective, and inspiring educators.
About the Program
The Course Hero-Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching will support rising stars in the academy who love teaching and demonstrate excellence as educators.
The Course Hero-WW Fellowship is a “genius grant” for outstanding teachers. For junior faculty on the tenure track, the award will emphasize the balance between scholarly excellence and commitment to teaching practice that draws on new approaches to pedagogy, creating a new level of engagement for students in and beyond the classroom. For non-tenure-track instructors—newly eligible for the program in 2018-19—the Fellowship supports overall commitment to excellence in teaching. In short, Fellows will be emerging heroes in their fields, on a clear trajectory to become great college educators.
In its 2018-19 cycle, the Course Hero-WW Fellowship will identify eight outstanding Fellows—four tenure-track junior faculty members and four non-tenure-track instructors.
- The tenure-track Fellows will receive a one-year grant of $30,000—approximately $20,000 to support the engagement of a research assistant and the balance to be used for research and travel support.
- The non-tenure-track Fellows will receive a one-year grant of $20,000 to strengthen their teaching and support research and conference participation.
Exceptional candidates teach in ways that
- build student confidence and mastery of a subject;
- encourage critical thinking;
- explore foundational concepts through the lens of broader themes and global events;
- promote the power of learning communities beyond the classroom;
- leverage technology to complement the classroom experience;
- consider and serve different learning styles;
- prepare students for lifelong learning; and
- can serve as replicable teaching models for other educators.
Selection takes place in March 2019. The eight Fellows will be invited to attend the Course Hero Education Summit in summer 2019, where their Fellowships will be announced.
In addition, all Fellows will have the opportunity to engage and collaborate with Course Hero and its growing community of master educators. Course Hero is partnering with educators to build an online library of course-specific study resources that complement the classroom experience. Fueled by its global community of over 20 million students and educators, Course Hero helps students quickly find the right study resources for their specific courses — including class notes, 24/7 tutors, study-guides, practice problems, and step-by-step explanations — so they can learn deeply and tackle any assignment or exam with confidence.
- Eligibility and Selection
- Application Information
For general questions about the program, eligibility, and application:
If you have further questions after reviewing information on this Web site, including application information and eligibility requirements, please contact [email protected]. If you are in the process of completing an application and are having specific issues, feel free to write to [email protected].
Send Us Updates
Fellows: New accomplishment? New address? Change in status? Let us hear from you.