Course Hero-Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching
The 2018 competition is now open! Applications are due by April 30.
In addition to an online application and a C.V., Course Hero-WW Fellows applicants must submit short essays describing their research interests, their teaching philosophy and approaches, and how their teaching would fit with Course Hero’s work. The application portfolio must also include a sample syllabus and related teaching content, along with two letters of recommendation by senior colleagues. References should speak to the applicant’s scholarly promise and progress toward tenure as well as to her/his demonstrated affinity for teaching, advising, and service.
Candidates must also submit a simple budget (based on a template provided) for use of the award funds. The award is structured to include $30,000 for hiring a student assistant or assistants to support research and/or course preparation needs. The student assistant(s) may be either graduate or undergraduate. At institutions that do not permit the hiring of students for such purposes, or where it is not feasible to spend $30,000 on the hiring of such assistants, funds may also be budgeted toward costs of outsourcing manuscript preparation, course materials, or other expenses that support research and teaching. No funds may be applied to course buyouts.
Deadline for all applications: April 30, 2018. Please read closely the application instructions below.
A complete application for the Course Hero-WW Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching consists of these required components:
- • A submitted online application
- • Two (2) letters of support from senior colleagues that speak to the applicant’s scholarly promise, to her/his demonstrated affinity for teaching and advising, to her/his commitment to innovative teaching practices, and to progress towards tenure. (One of the letters must come from the chair of the applicant’s department, a cognizant dean, or another senior colleague who can speak authoritatively to progress toward tenure.)
- • PDF files, submitted online, of the required supplemental items:
- • A curriculum vitæ
- • An essay describing the applicant’s research interests (maximum of 500 words)
- • An essay describing the applicant’s teaching philosophy and approaches; it is appropriate to include evidence of departmental or campus endorsement, such as teaching awards OR excerpts from student evaluations (maximum of 500 words)
- • An essay describing how the applicant’s teaching approach would fit with Course Hero’s work: what would the applicant use/contribute? (maximum of 500 words)
- • A simple budget developed using this template with brief budget narrative describing the role that the student assistant will play in the candidate’s research and/or teaching. (maximum of 200 words)
- • A sample syllabus from the course that the candidate considers to be the most effective and relevant, along with related content, such as assignments, assessments, or learning resources that best represent the candidate’s teaching approach (maximum of 15 pages total)
Note: Please prepare these materials in 12-point Times New Roman font. Label all files as “LastnameFirstname_CH_item.pdf”.
- • Examples:
- • JonesJane_CH_CV.pdf
- • JonesJane_CH_ResearchEssay.pdf
- • JonesJane_CH_TeachingEssay.pdf
- • JonesJane_CH_CourseHeroEssay.pdf
- • JonesJane_CH_Budget.pdf
- • JonesJane_CH_Syllabus.pdf
Please leave these PDFs separate—you will be submitting six files, not one.
About the Online Application
- • Go to the application site. It is recommended that you save the webpage as a bookmark.
- • Create an account and fill out the required information.
- • Click the SUBMIT button before April 30, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET.
- • Return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “submit supplemental items.” Upload your seven supporting PDFs, as listed above, in the supplemental items section of the online application.
About the Letters of Recommendation
- • To register your recommenders in the online application, return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “submit supplemental items.” In the recommendation request section, click on “start” next to each listed letter of recommendation to initiate an email request to your recommender.
- • After entering your recommender’s name and email address, you will have the opportunity to include a personal note in the notification email. It is strongly advised that you provide a “submit by” deadline in this area for your recommenders.
- • Once you have started the process, your recommenders will receive an email requesting they submit a letter on your behalf. They have the option to accept or decline this request. Recommenders who accept the request will be taken to an online form where they will enter some information before uploading and submitting their recommendation letter. If a recommender declines your request to provide a recommendation, you will be notified by email. If you receive a “decline” notification, you will need to return to your account page and “start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender.
- • It is recommended that you submit your recommenders’ information right away.
- • You also have the ability in this same area of your account page to change a recommender by clicking on “cancel” and then following the procedures to “start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender, or to “resend” a request to one of your recommenders, if necessary.
- • You will be able to track receipt of your letters of recommendation in the “supplemental items” section of your application. It is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they have submitted their online recommendation prior to the deadline, April 30, 2018 11:59 p.m. ET. We strongly recommend that letters of recommendation be submitted as early as possible to ensure they are received prior to the deadline.
- • All document submissions must be properly labeled. Incorrect file labeling may delay the processing of the application.
- • Inquiries may be directed to [email protected].
- • Once again, the deadline for all components of the application is April 30, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET. It is strongly recommended that all components be submitted at least one day prior to the application deadline, to ensure the documents have been received.
- • You will be able to log in and return at any time to your account to edit your personal information, change your password, start and/or complete your application, and verify receipt of supplemental items.
Course Hero is partnering with educators to build an online library of course-specific study resources that complement the classroom experience. Fueled by its global community of over 20 million students and educators, Course Hero helps students quickly find the right study resources for their specific courses — including class notes, 24/7 tutors, study-guides, practice problems, and step-by-step explanations — so they can learn deeply and tackle any assignment or exam with confidence.