Course Hero-Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching
The application is now open! Deadline for applications is November 9, 2018.
In addition to an online application and a C.V., tenure-track Course Hero-WW Fellowship applicants must submit short essays describing their research interests, their teaching philosophy and approaches, and how their teaching would fit with Course Hero’s work. The application portfolio must also include a sample syllabus and related teaching content, along with two letters of recommendation by senior colleagues. References should speak to the applicant’s scholarly promise and progress toward tenure as well as to her/his demonstrated affinity for teaching, advising, and service.
Candidates must also submit a simple budget (based on a template provided) for use of the award funds. The award is structured to include $20,000 for hiring a student assistant or assistants to support research and/or course preparation needs. The student assistant(s) may be either graduate or undergraduate. At institutions that do not permit the hiring of students for such purposes, or where it is not feasible to spend $20,000 on the hiring of such assistants, funds may also be budgeted toward costs of outsourcing manuscript preparation, course materials, or other expenses that support research and teaching. No funds may be applied to course buyouts.
Deadline for all applications: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST. Please read closely the application instructions below.
A complete application for the tenure-track Course Hero-WW Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching consists of these required components:
- • A submitted online application. Be sure to select the “tenure-track” option where prompted.
- • Two (2) letters of support from senior colleagues that speak to the applicant’s scholarly promise, to her/his demonstrated affinity for teaching and advising, to her/his commitment to innovative teaching practices, and to progress towards tenure. (One of the letters must come from the chair of the applicant’s department, a cognizant dean, or another senior colleague who can speak authoritatively to progress toward tenure.)
- • PDF files, submitted online, of the required supplemental items:
- ₒ An essay describing the applicant’s teaching philosophy and approaches; it is appropriate to include evidence of departmental or campus endorsement, such as teaching awards OR excerpts from student evaluations (maximum of 500 words)
- ₒ A sample syllabus from the course that the candidate considers to be the most effective and relevant, along with related content, such as assignments, assessments, or learning resources that best represent the candidate’s teaching approach (maximum of 15 pages total)
- ₒ An essay describing how the applicant’s teaching approach would fit with Course Hero’s work: what would the applicant use/contribute? (maximum of 500 words)
- ₒ A simple budget developed using this template with brief budget narrative describing the role that the research assistant will play in the candidate’s research and/or teaching. (maximum of 200 words)
- ₒ An essay describing the applicant’s research interests (maximum of 500 words)
- ₒ A curriculum vitæ (no more than five pages)
These materials are to be prepared in 12-point Times New Roman font, single-spaced; essays should be left-justified.
When these six items are complete, please combine them, in the order shown above, into a single PDF file; this proposal template offers an example. The file is to be labeled “LastnameFirstname_CHTT_supplemental.pdf”.
ABOUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- • Go to the application site. It is recommended that you save the webpage as a bookmark.
- • Create an account and fill out the required information.
- • Click the SUBMIT button before Friday, November 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST.
- • Return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “submit supplemental items.” Upload your final PDF file of six supplemental items, as described above, in the “supplemental items” section of the online application.
ABOUT THE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- • To register your recommenders in the online application, return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “submit supplemental items.” In the recommendation request section, click on “start” next to each listed letter of recommendation to initiate an email request to your recommender.
- • After entering your recommender’s name and email address, you will have the opportunity to include a personal note in the notification email. It is strongly advised that you provide a “submit by” deadline in this area for your recommenders.
- • Once you have started the process, your recommenders will receive an email requesting they submit a letter on your behalf. They have the option to accept or decline this request. Recommenders who accept the request will be taken to an online form where they will enter some information before uploading and submitting their recommendation letter. If a recommender declines your request to provide a recommendation, you will be notified by email. If you receive a “decline” notification, you will need to return to your account page and “start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender.
- • It is recommended that you submit your recommenders’ information right away.
- • You also have the ability in this same area of your account page to change a recommender by clicking on “cancel” and then following the procedures to “start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender, or to “resend” a request to one of your recommenders, if necessary.
- • You will be able to track receipt of your letters of recommendation in the “supplemental items” section of your application. It is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they have submitted their online recommendation prior to the deadline, Friday, November 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST.We strongly recommend that letters of recommendation be submitted as early as possible to ensure they are received prior to the deadline.
- • All document submissions must be properly labeled. Incorrect file labeling may delay the processing of the application.
- • Inquiries may be directed to [email protected].
- • Once again, the deadline for all components of the application is Friday, November 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST.It is strongly recommended that all components be submitted at least one day prior to the application deadline, to ensure the documents have been received.
- • You will be able to log in and return at any time to your account to edit your personal information, change your password, start and/or complete your application, and verify receipt of supplemental items.
Course Hero is an online learning platform where members can access over 20 million course-specific study resources contributed by a community of students and educators. It offers practice problems, study guides, videos, class notes, and step-by-step explanations for every subject students are studying—from economics to literature, biology to history, accounting to psychology, and everything in between.