Career Enhancement Adjunct Faculty Fellowship
The new online CEF application is now closed.
- Overview of Required Materials
- The Online Application
- Supplemental Materials
- Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- • Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship alumni
- • Adjunct faculty in one of the designated fields (see fields here)
- • Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States as of November 8, 2019 (include copy of green card if a permanent resident).
A complete application for the Career Enhancement Adjunct Faculty Fellowship will include:
- • A completed online application form
- • A single PDF file of supplemental materials in the order listed below. Label the PDF as follows: “LastNameFirstName_CEF_ADJ_Supplemental” with no spaces.
- – Institutional Acknowledgement Form
- – Curriculum Vitae
- – Personal Statement
- – Research Plan
- – Writing Sample
- – Green Card, if applicable.
- • Two (2) letters of recommendation requested through the online application system and submitted directly by referees.
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received by the application deadline: November 8, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST.
Please read closely the application instructions below.
- • Create an account and remember to write down your username and password. After creating an account, you will be taken to your personal account page where you will can return at any time to edit your personal information, change your password, start and/or complete your application, and submit and/or verify receipt of your supplemental materials.
- • Create an application by clicking on link #2: “Start an Application.” You will be taken to a listing of all available programs to select the Career Enhancement Adjunct Faculty Fellowship application. The confirmation page will show your selected academic term and application. Click on “Submit,” and wait for the application to load.
- • Begin the application and remember to click on “save and continue” before leaving a page, or “save application” before logging out in order to save your work. The application can be completed during more than one session.
- • To complete an unfinished application simply return to your bookmarked page, log in with your email and password, and click on link #3 “Complete an Application.”
- • Submit the application when complete, using the submit button at the bottom of the application. If you have missed any required fields, you will receive an error message. Click on the item(s) listed within parentheses and you will be taken directly to the missed field. Once all required fields have been completed, click on the submit button.
To upload your supplemental materials, click on “my account” and scroll down to “submit supplemental items.” Make sure to upload your supplemental materials as a single PDF file in the order listed below. Label the PDF as follows: “LastNameFirstName_CEF_ADJ_Supplemental” with no spaces.
- Institutional Acknowledgement Form. This form verifies the applicant’s tenure track status and confirms the institution’s knowledge and approval of the application. This form must be signed by the department chair and/or an institutional official who holds fiscal responsibility and can commit to supplementing the fellowship to allow the faculty member to receive his or her academic salary. If the department chair also has fiscal responsibility, only one signature is needed. If another official, such as a provost or dean must also sign, please include their title along with their signature.
- – Download the Institutional Acknowledgement Form here.
- – After collecting the required signatures, scan and save the signed Institutional Acknowledgement Form. The scanned document will be the first page of your combined PDF of supplemental materials.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement (4 pages maximum, double-spaced and in 12-pt font). Please include the following:
- – An explanation of how the award will allow you to enhance your academic credentials and assist you in attaining a tenure-track position;. Include a brief description of your pursuit of a tenure-track position thus far.
- – A description of your teaching philosophy and academic service experiences;
- – A discussion of your demonstrated commitment to eradicating racial disparities and promoting cross-racial understanding and support for students on your campus.
- Research Plan (3 pages maximum, double-spaced and in 12-pt font). Describe your research plan in detail. Please do not reiterate your Personal Statement; this essay is research focused.
- Writing Sample (15 pages maximum). Submit a published work or an unpublished draft of scholarly work completed in the past 18 months. Preference will be given to submissions which are not dissertation chapters. The page limit does not include references.
Two (2) Letters of Recommendation: Each letter (1-2 pages in length) should evaluate your research interests; assess the quality of your scholarship; explain how the award will benefit your search for a tenure-track position; briefly discuss your teaching qualifications, service commitments; and assess your commitment to diversity in the campus community. One letter should be from a supporter of your tenure-track job search, and the other from someone who can address your proposed research. Letters of recommendation must be written on institutional letterhead, signed, and submitted through the online application. It is strongly recommended that you request letters of recommendation as early as possible. Do not wait until you have submitted your application.
- • Request Letters of Recommendation by clicking on link #4 “Submit Supplemental Items.”
- • For each recommendation request, click on the “Start” link and fill in the requested information.
- • It is suggested that you make note of the application/recommendation deadline in the area provided for a personal note.
- • Click on “Submit Request.”
- • Once you have started the process, your recommenders will receive an email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. They have the option to accept or decline this request. Recommenders who accept the request will be taken to an online form where they will enter some information before uploading and submitting their recommendation letter. If a recommender declines your request to provide a recommendation, you will be notified by email. If you receive a “decline” notification, you will need to return to your account page to request a new recommendation from a different recommender. You can also change a recommender by clicking on “cancel” and then following the procedures to “start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender. You can also resend a request to one of your recommenders, if necessary.
The deadline for all application materials is November 8, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST.
Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation does not comment on the deliberations of its award panels and does not provide evaluations of successful or unsuccessful applications.
Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation and will not be returned or held for another year.