The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
The 2019 Charlotte W. Newcombe Fellowship application is now closed.
A complete Charlotte Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship application consists of these required components:
- • a submitted online application;
- • the online submission of the required supplemental items PDF files (See this template for the proposal document, which provides greater detail.);
- • doctoral transcript; and
- • three (3) letters of recommendation.
- • All document submissions must be properly labeled. Incorrect file labeling may delay the processing of the application.
- • Inquiries may be directed to [email protected].
- • The deadline for ALL components of the application is November 15, 2018 11:59 p.m. ET. It is strongly recommended that all components be submitted at least one day prior to the application deadline, to ensure the documents have been received.
- • You will be able to login and return at any time to your account to edit your personal information, change your password, start and/or complete your application, and verify receipt of supplemental items.
- • If all components are not received by deadline, the application will be incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A. Go to the application site. It is recommended that you save the Web page as a bookmark.
- B. Create an account/fill out the required information.
- C. Click the SUBMIT button before November 15, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Please note, you may SUBMIT your application at any time, once it is completed. You may SUBMIT your application before or after you have uploaded your supplemental items or transcript, and before or after the letters of recommendation are received.
- A. Obtain a copy of your doctoral transcript. The transcript may be official or unofficial for the initial submission. Finalists will be required to submit an official transcript. Save it/all pages into a single PDF file, correctly labeled.
- B. Prepare the proposal document, which includes the cover sheet, abstract, proposal, bibliography, timetable, and C.V. (See this template for the proposal document, which provides greater detail.) Save into a single PDF file, correctly labeled.
- C. Return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “Submit Supplemental Items.” Upload the transcript and the proposal document in the supplemental items section of the online application.
- A. Select recommenders who can attest to your scholarly competence and quality. We recommend that letters be personal and submitted specifically for the Charlotte Newcombe Fellowship. Generic or outdated letters do not typically strengthen an application. One of your recommenders must be your Dissertation Advisor.
- B. Register your recommenders in the online application. Return to your account page and scroll to the bottom. Click on “Submit Supplemental Items.” In the Recommendation Request Section, click on “Start” next to each listed letter of recommendation to initiate the recommendation request process. This will initiate an email request to your recommender to submit a letter.
- C. After entering your recommender’s name and email address, you will have the opportunity to include a personal note in the notification email. It is strongly advised that you provide a “submit by” deadline in this area for your recommenders.
- D. Once you have started the process, your recommenders will receive an email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. They have the option to accept or decline this request. Recommenders who accept the request will be taken to an online form where they will enter some information before uploading and submitting their recommendation letter. If a recommender declines your request to provide a recommendation, you will be notified by email. If you receive a “decline” notification, you will need to return to your account page and “Start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender.
- E. You also have the ability in this same area of your account page to change a recommender by clicking on “Cancel” and then following the procedures to “Start” a new recommendation process with a different recommender, or to “Resend” a request to one of your recommenders, if necessary.
- F. You will be able to track receipt of your letters of recommendation in the “supplemental items” section of your application. It is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they have submitted their online recommendation prior to deadline, November 15, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET. We strongly recommend that Letters of Recommendation be submitted as early as possible to ensure they are received prior to deadline.
Application Important Dates
November 15, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST
Notification of Status (Finalist and Non-Finalist)
By March 15, 2019
By April 5, 2019
Public Announcement of Fellows
By May 1, 2019
Term of the award
Chosen Fellows will serve the tenure of the Fellowship from September 1, 2019-August 31, 2020