The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
The Newcombe Fellowship application is now closed.
Eligible applicants for the 2019 Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship must:
- • be candidates for Ph.D. or Th.D. degrees in an American doctoral program at a graduate school located in the United States. Candidates working on D.Min., law, Psy.D., Ed.D. and other professional degrees are not eligible.
- • have all pre-dissertation requirements fulfilled by the application deadline November 15, 2019, including approval of the dissertation proposal.
- • be in the writing stage of the dissertation. Usually, this means that fieldwork or other research is complete and writing has begun by the time of the award.
- • must expect to complete the dissertation between April 1, 2021 and August 31, 2021.
- • have never held a similar national award for the final year of dissertation writing. Applicants who have won such awards as the ACLS, AAUW, Ford, Mellon, NAEd/Spencer, or Whiting fellowship are not eligible.
- • be in a humanities or social science department, writing on topics where ethical or religious values are a central concern.
- • have never applied for the Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship before. Previous applicants may not apply.
Please note that, in general, Newcombe Fellows may not accept other awards that provide similar benefits. Smaller local awards and/or those involving opportunities to teach may be permitted, at the discretion of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation. Fellows’ graduate schools are asked to remit tuition and fees. Fellows may undertake no more than six hours of paid work a week during the tenure of the Fellowship, and then only with the written permission of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation. The Newcombe Fellowship selection process is highly competitive, and reapplications are not allowed. If you have not completed enough work on your dissertation to present a compelling case for it, or to convince the selection committees that you will be able to finish within the 12-month tenure of the award, you should postpone your application for another year. If under these requirements you are eligible to apply for the Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, click here for more information about the application process.